Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Kurt Cobains 15th anniversary




Nirvana still to this day are my all time favorite band because i grew up with they're music. More importantly, i felt a connection with Kurt Cobain. Even though i was a young black kid from an upper class respective home i felt what it was like to be isolated. Hence me being a black pre-teen in the early 90's listening to rock music. Unheard of. Now its cool to do that but back then, not so much. I can remember back when i had found out that Kurt was also a visual artists i felt even more connected because i was super into art. I was at school studying visual arts my whole life at that point. It was so cool to see my then idol had wanted to become a painter which was the same goal that i had. His music and words really spoke to me like no other singer can match, not even today. For me Nirvana represents a certain period in my life that i have never fully grown out of. Having something that you believe in and can escape to when everything around you is all fucked up is what i take away from the music.

This clip that i am posting is from Nirvanas New Years Eve concert. I was watching it at home by myself on New years Eve in the upstairs rec room hopping that it would never end. For me it was the coolest shit ever. I was watching Nirvana perform live and that would be as close as i ever would be to seeing them live.


Something about the show that is stained in my mind forever is the face that Kurt made at the end of the set. The band was done with the show and as usual they were destroying all the instruments and causing anarchy onstage but having a ball while doing so. The crowd was super pumped and Kurt was inviting them onto the stage to mosh. Out of the blue he had made the most god aweful face that i have ever seen for no reason, he just seemed to be bloody miserable out of nowhere. After the show i sat in the shower and could not stop thinking about the face that he had made and why he would have done it cause everyone was having a good time. I was all of 13 thinking about that. A couple months later while watching MTV's Sports Kurt Cobains Suicide was announced. I was not surprised in the slightest.

No comments: