Tuesday, June 30, 2009

R.I.P. Pina Bausch


Acclaimed German dancer and choreographer Pina Bausch has died at the age of 68. The recipient of numerous awards and prizes, she left her mark as an innovator in the hybrid genre of "Tanztheater," or dance theater.



I keep thinking how much this week sucks. Im not going to list all of the people that have passed away this week aside from Micheal Jackson because he directly impacted my life. Pina Bausch a modern dance pioneer/ avante garde artists took me a while to get into but her influence can’t be denied. Her usage of set using "form and function" has been a hallmark of hers and numerous other dance companies/choreographers around the world. I’m currently working with set design so ive had been effected through osmosis. Of course I appreciate her work and wish that I saw her company perform last year in Berkeley. Bausch has set the stage for artist such as myself because if i decide to go to the far left and then cut right i can do so because she is the trail blazer for experimental works.

With all the craziness going on in the world right now we should try and take the time to tell the people that we love, admire, or even just friends with what they mean to us. This week is a reminder that life is so fragile and nothing should be taken for granted. You just never know what might happen. I want to take the time to thank all of my family, friends, dancers, supporters and everyone else who have helped me make my dreams come true. Everyone that I have worked with I want to say thank you for your time and energy. Life really is a blessing. Life is what you make of it. I have no money or budget but that has not stopped me for a second to get my dreams out. If you believe that you can do something DO IT! If you fail, at least you tried and you know that you gave it your all. Also we should try to focus on the positive not the negative. It’s too easy to get down or bring others down if your having a bad day but what does that accomplish? Smile at someone today. Watch how contagious a smile can be.




Putting out the good vibes for ya’ll.

No comments: