Monday, May 30, 2011

Rip Gil Scott- Heron

I want to pay some respect to Gil Scott- Heron because he has been on my mind for the past week before his passing. I was recently asked by a theater director to use some text from any poet that I personally find moving for an up coming commission and he was at the top of my list. Gil Scott was known as being the grandfather of rap, a title that did not sit well with him because he viewed himself more of a writer/poet but none the less a prolific artist. For all of you who are not too familiar with his work please read this article in the New York Times about his life and do some research on him yourself because he was a very powerful artist and human being with such an incredible voice.

posted below are a couple videos of his work that I personally enjoy and hope that you do too.


2 comments:

russell_calvert said...

I have to agree this was truly a unique being with a vision beyond his years. A master song writer and poet. may he rest in peace and know that he work has inspired a lot in a country stained and blemished with segregation know as the evil APARTHEID !!!

Getting ready to TAG said...

He will be missed.