Monday, December 22, 2008

While on the Subject

I just finished watching the "Film" version of Cymbal Rush on the post below. I spoke in short about how we did a live version of the piece at NCSA. Today what i decided to do is elaborate on how i developed it for stage.

Once we (garen and I) decided that we were going to do Cymbal Rush for stage i had to start thinking about how to translate the movement on a much larger scale. Dancing for film is a lot different than stage because you are more or less confined to a certain frame that you need to be in at all times. Thus making it more intimate. Stage is different story. Stage you have so much more space to fill so that the movement does not seem flat. Garen made it a point to tell me that we have to go much bigger than before. The only thing that i really had to wrap my brain around for "stage" was the lighting which is KEY. The choreography remained the same with the exception of some transitions and new phrasing for Ben Wardell(Hubbard St)who filled in for an injured Quinn Wharton(SFB).

Lighting was so important for me that i flew my ass out to North Carolina so that i can be there to tech the lights. I had been in contact with the Lighting Director of the program who was still a student. Once i came in for the 1st tech i was so pleased about how well the LD was able to produce my lighting specifications. The lights were done so well that i had time to work on other ideas that i had. I wanted to make it more atmospheric. The reason why i am, and was so hell bent on the lighting is because good lighting sets the tone and atmosphere. The music for Cymbal Rush is so driving, pulse heavy with these rich classical piano undertones, lyrical phrasing that is talking against the music and then lifts you up into the clouds. It would be easy for the music to overpower the dance because its so heavy and full. My job was to translate the movement to the music but also have to be able to set the tone with the lights. I wanted to have the audience be transported into another place the entire 6min while my dance was being performed. Judging by the viewers reactions and my former teachers i can say "Mission accomplished".

here it is..

No comments: